|Among many fall offerings at the Casey County Produce Auction.|
There is so much to do in and within an easy drive of Casey County––in fact, all of Kentucky––in the autumn months. So many offerings celebrate the season and agricultural bounty of Kentucky while others are fun, historical or just a great reason to be outside with your family. September and October provide a perfect opportunity to enjoy the region in the cooler, more temperate, months, before a quieter winter. With higher gas prices, too, what better way to 'get away' than by doing something in your own backyard?
Here are some highlights of several fall festivals and events, with links where available. Make sure you click on those for additional information or ways you can help [If you know of other related agritourism events or activities in the next few months, please let me know and I'll include them here]:
- September 10, Fall Heritage Festival, Homeplace Farm, Campbellsville
- September 16, Apple Cook-Off Contest & Ice Cream Social, Casey County Extension Building
- September 16-17, Kentucky Mule & Donkey Association State Championship Show, AG/EXPO Center
- September 17-24, Casey County Apple Festival (37th annual), downtown Liberty
- September 17, Kentuckians Reading Kentucky, Janice Holt Giles House, Adair County
- September 17, Autumn Fest at Bear Wallow Farm, Nancy (open weekends through October 30)
- September 23-25, Harvest Fest–50th Anniversary Celebration, Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, Harrodsburg
- September 24-25, National Alpaca Farm Days, Barnett's Creek Farm, Liberty [email or call ahead]
|The annual Galilean Children's Home Benefit Quilt Auction brings|
in handmade quilts from around the country and region each year.
|Penn's Store is undergoing an extensive restoration after the |
devastating May 2010 flood which impacted much of Casey County.
- October 1-30, Autumn Fest at Bear Wallow Farm, Nancy
- October 1, Art and Craft Festival, Janice Holt Giles House, Adair County
- October 8, Great Outhouse Blowout, Penn's Store
- October 13-14, Galilean Children's Home Benefit Quilt Auction (22nd annual)
- October 14-15, Forkland Heritage Festival (40th annual)
- October 15, Special Consignment Auction, Casey County Produce Auction
- October 21-22, Casey County Heritage Festival (3rd annual), AG/EXPO Center
- October 29, Fall 501 Mennonite Benefit Auction & Sale (Hwy 127 & 501)
|Some of the many homemade Mennonite baked goods that are always available|
at the 501 Casey County Benefit Auction and Sale, held this year October 29th.
Additional events and happenings are listed at the Liberty-Casey County Chamber of Commerce website. You can also check the excellent Tour Southern and Eastern Kentucky calendar for more information on fun things to do not too far from home.
We will also be updating our GROW Casey County Facebook page with other events as they might come up. If you're on Facebook, consider Friending GROW Casey County for more regular updates, links and interesting bits of agricultural and local food-related information.
~ Also, a note that the Casey County Produce Auction has returned to their regular Monday, Wednesday and Thursday schedule through September: 2pm on Monday and Wednesday and 5pm on Thursday ~ October will have a further altered auction schedule: please check above link.